Monday, October 18, 2010

PROJECT: DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM Part 3

To wrap up our DDC objective (at least for now),  I put a pile of non-fiction books on each table in the library.  The books ranged from the 000s to the 900s and some were close to one another on the shelves.  I shared with students the challenge of putting these in numerical order according to the DDC.  They thought it would be soooooo easy to put them in order.  "No problem, Mrs. Hesterman!" they confidently uttered.  In a race between the tables, I whispered (I AM in the library, of course) "Ready..set...shelve!" and away they went.  Undoubtedly, this did no go as easily as they thought it would.  As each table finished, I checked to see if they had done it correctly.  I would say "No...sorry.  You've got 3 out of order."  And they would rise to the challenge once again.

Although I don't have any pics of this, it was a lot of fun.  If I were to do it again, I would probably do it with smaller groups.  It would be easier to access if they were really getting the concept or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment