Thursday, September 16, 2010

Teacher Picks

Alice the Fairy by David Shannon
This summer, I sent an email out to our teachers asking them to choose three of their favorite Children's books for a display I was putting together in the library.  Narrowing their lists to just 3 was a torturous task and a lot to ask, but I didn't have much display room.  As their lists collected in my inbox, I smiled at their book selections...some familiar, some not.  Their personalities were reflected in their favorites and it has been fun to watch students enjoying the display as it changes from teacher to teacher.
How taken they are by this book!
One of our wonderful first grade teachers was showcased in my first display in the library.  Today, I shared her favorite Alice the Fairy by David Shannon with her sweet students.  Each student had their own copy of the book.  (I am so blessed to live with an absolutely amazing public library system.  I can reserve up to 50 books as an educator, so it was very easy to gather enough copies for all students.)  Having this book tangibly in their hands carried the lesson to places I wasn't able to predict initially.  We were able to go over all the "body" parts of the book...even so far as discussing the publisher and the copyright date.  I was so impressed with our students!  They did such a fantastic job.  Watching them enjoy the book in unison was a delight. 
Following the words with their fingers

This lesson was so valuable, I will be sure to do it again.  Thinking of which book I would like to do next and with what grade.  In closing, I'll share this cute story:  Today, when asking students to identify the "jacket" of the book, several raised their hands and said, "It's the coat!! It's the coat!! "  I LOVE MY JOB!!

No comments:

Post a Comment