Wednesday, September 22, 2010

THE KING'S CHRISTMAS LIST by Eldon Johnson

When I was growing up, we would always read the same book on Christmas Eve as a family Christmas tradition.  It wasn't the kind of book where you would laugh at the pictures and the storyline.  It was a serious book- one with meaning, message, and purpose.  You would never be tempted to pick it up again throughout the year...even just to look at the pictures.  You were completely content with the fact that it was packed away with the Christmas ornaments, waiting to be read again the next year.  Yet, it was part of your Christmas Eve traditions and you wouldn't feel right without it being present.  Some books are simply part of traditions only.  The King's Christmas List by Eldon Johnson is that kind of book. 

While reading, I could imagine a little girl identifying closely with the main character, Emma.  While the message was right on, I think younger elementary students would find it hard to stay engaged with the book due to heavy text.  The illustrations are not ultimately kid-friendly.  In other words, I don't think kids will be drawn to the pictures.  However, the main message of giving is communicated well and cannot be overstated.  With this season of "Gimmee, Gimmee, Gimmee,"  I think Johnson explains nicely why this attitude is not God's best for our lives.  It is possible that adults might get more out of this book than a child would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment